Are you feeling run down and exhausted? Do you feel like you can’t catch a break? If so, it might be time for you to start taking some time for yourself. In this blog post, we will discuss 10 ways to rest and self care. Taking some time for yourself is essential to your health and well-being, so don’t neglect yourself any longer!
Why resting and conducting self care is important?
We live in a fast-paced world where it seems like we are always on the go. We are constantly being bombarded with new tasks and responsibilities, and it can be hard to keep up. This can lead to feelings of overwhelm and stress. When we don’t take the time to rest and care for ourselves, our physical and mental health can suffer. That’s why it’s so important to make sure that you are taking some time for yourself every day.
10 Ways to Rest and Self Care When You Need a Break
There are many different ways that you can rest and take care of yourself. Here are just a few ideas:
1) Get Enough Sleep
– Get enough sleep: Most adults need around eight hours of sleep per night, but everyone is different. Make sure that you are getting the appropriate amount of sleep for your body and mind to function at their best. Especially if you know that you have a lot of work or other obligations the next day.
So going to bed a little earlier than usual can help! It can also, help you feel more prepared and much more well rested.
If you find it’s hard getting your full eight hours through the night because the kids are waking up, feeling restless, mind wandering, etc.; make sure you schedule for a nap the following day.
This brings us to point #2.
2) Take a Daily Nap
– Take a nap: Who said naps are only for kids? NOT!
If you’re feeling tired during the day, consider taking a quick power nap. Even 20 minutes can make a big difference in your energy levels. It’s long enough to give you all the benefits of sleep without leaving you feeling groggy when you wake up.
Here are 5 benefits of a power nap:
-Improves your mood
-It heightens your alertness
-Give you a better reaction time to unexpected situations
-It can improve your short-term Memory
-You’re better focused with the ability to concentrate
3) Clear Your Schedule
– Clear your schedule: Remove anything unnecessary from your calendar to catch up on your rest and self care. There’s no need to over-extend yourself. Therefore, unless it’s a major priority, remove it from your to-do list. So that you can properly schedule time for yourself and create more balance.
In order to properly do this. First, you need to get a clear understanding of your responsibilities vs obligations.
An obligation is an act to which an individual is morally or legally bound. Responsibility is a duty or task that you are required or expected to do.
Although obligations are attached to morals/commitments to others, you may have to re-evaluate things you’ve obligated yourselves to and propose a rain check at a later date, when we’re more available and better rested!
4) Create a Nighttime Routine
– Create a nighttime routine: Establishing a relaxing nighttime routine can help signal your body that it’s time to wind down for the evening. This might include taking a bath, reading a book, or writing in a journal.
Remember your routine should help you create consistency. It should also be practical and realistic in order for you to actually follow.
If you are not use to routines, start with a nighttime routine, then check out the 4 reasons you should create routines. Which may help you to create more routines throughout your entire life.
5) Turn off Electronics
– Turn off electronics: Avoid using electronics (including your phone) for at least an hour before bedtime. The blue light from screens can interfere with your body’s natural sleep cycle.
Electronics have become a huge staple of our everyday life, but they can cause us to become easily distracted if we’re not careful.
As explained, research has found a correlation between suppressed levels of melatonin and exposure to blue light. Melatonin is a hormone responsible for controlling your sleep-wake cycle. When your body runs low on it, you can experience insomnia, tiredness during the day, and irritability.
6) Adapt a Comfortable Sleeping Environment
– Make sure your sleeping environment is comfortable: Creating a space that is conducive to sleep can help you get a better night’s rest. This might include investing in a comfortable mattress, using blackout curtains, or using a noise machine to drown out any outside noise.
7) Get moving
– Exercise: Taking some time to get your body moving can help reduce stress and improve your overall health. A moderate amount of exercise is the key to maintaining your energy levels throughout the day.
Using exercise to eliminate stress is a great strategy for getting your body the rest you need.
Stress relieving exercises can be yoga, walking, swimming, skating, etc.
-Detox: A good detox program can rejuvenate you for the rest you need. It’s one of the best self-care activities to engage in for physical self-care, promoting rest for internal body care, which will contribute to the way your body responses to stress.
Some detoxes can involve smoothies/juicing, the use of herbs, certain food elimination, etc. Whichever the case may be, it establishes rest for your body after the detoxification process.
Detoxing doesn’t have to be limited to just physical self-care. You can detox yourself of needy people, promoting social self-care, in order for you to get more rest. Therefore, you won’t have to deal with the worries or drama of toxic individuals, leaving you with more time to rest!
9) Take breaks
– Take breaks: When you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a few minutes to yourself to regroup. Step away from your work, take some deep breaths, and clear your mind. This will help you come back refreshed and ready to tackle whatever is ahead.
There are lots of apps and devices that you can use to assist you in breathing techniques.
Break often as needed, so it can help your mind feel rested and distracted from feeling overwhelmed.
10) Hire Help
– Hire help: Hiring help can get you lots of rest and allow you time to focus on things you really enjoy doing.
Take all the tasks on your to-do list and allow someone else the responsibility of doing them. Depending on the task, the price can be more reasonable than you think.
You can post a gig job on apps like Thumb Tack, Task Rabbit, etc. in order to get more rest and self care!
Frequently Asked Questions about Ways to Rest and Self care
If you have some questions about self care and finding ways to rest, check out these frequently asked questions we’ve answered below:
How do you rest and take care of yourself?
There are a few ways to rest and take care of yourself, to get started you can: get enough sleep, take a nap, go to bed early, create a nighttime routine, turn off electronics, adopt a comfortable sleeping environment, and lastly eat healthily.
What are 5 self-care activities?
There are many different self-care activities but some popular ones include exercise, journaling, taking breaks, spending time outside, and doing something you enjoy.
How do I make time for self care?
It can be difficult to make time for self care but it is important to try to schedule some time for yourself every day. You can create a self care schedule and make a vow to yourself to stick to it. Even if it’s just for a few minutes, taking some time out for yourself can make a big difference.
What are the 8 areas of self-care?
The eight areas of self-care include: physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, intellectual, environmental, and financial. To best take care of yourself, it is important to focus on all eight areas.
How do I motivate myself to take care of myself?
There are a few ways you can motivate yourself to take care of yourself. One way is to set small goals for yourself and then reward yourself when you reach them. Another way is to find a role model or friend who also takes care of themselves and asks for their advice. Lastly, try to focus on the positive benefits of taking care of yourself. When you feel good, it will be easier to stick to your self-care routine.
Last Thing You Need to Know About Ways to Rest and Self Care
These are just a few ideas for ways that you can rest and take care of yourself. When you make self-care a priority, you will feel better physically and mentally, and you will be better equipped to handle whatever life throws your way. So don’t wait any longer, start taking care of yourself today!
I hope this blog post was helpful in giving you some ideas for ways to rest and take care of yourself. If you have any other suggestions, please leave them in the comments below. And remember, always put your health and well-being first!
Free Worksheet Download
Before we go, we have created a FREE Rest and Self-care Worksheet to help you find time to create more time for rest and self-care.
If you find this document helpful, don’t to share, comment and pin!
Don’t forget to check out our other self care content:
- 11 Self Care Tips for New Dads to Conquer the Daddy Blues
- 7 Self Care Tips for Breastfeeding Moms + Free Journal
- How to Rest and Self Care: 10 Ways to Take a Break + FREE Worksheet
- Self Care for Busy Moms: Tips to Help You Relax, Refresh, and Recharge
- Self-Care Activities for New Moms: How to Take Care of Yourself with a Baby
Want more from us? Follow us on IG!