Self-care is important for everyone, but it’s especially important for busy moms. Juggling work, family, and household responsibilities can be overwhelming, and it’s easy to let your own needs fall by the wayside. But neglecting your own well-being can lead to anxiety, stress, and depression. That’s why it’s important to make time for yourself, even if it’s just a few minutes each day. In this blog post, we’ll discuss self-care tips for busy moms that can help you relax, refresh and recharge!
What is Self Care?
Self-care is any activity that you do deliberately in order to take care of your physical, mental, or emotional health. Self-care can go even deeper into areas of your life such as Professional, environmental, and spiritual. In fact, there are 8 types of self-care!
>>You can read more about the types of self-care here:
But for now, let’s focus on some self-care ideas that busy moms can use to relax, refresh and recharge!
It’s important to note that self-care is not selfish – it’s actually essential for your well-being! When you make time for self-care, you’re investing in your own happiness and future.
Self-care is important for all humans, but it’s especially crucial for moms. Moms are constantly juggling work, family, and household responsibilities. They often put their own needs last, which can lead to anxiety, stress, and depression. Self-care can help prevent these negative health effects by providing a much-needed break from the demands of motherhood. And let’s be honest mommy, you do not want to fall into the dark holes of Mom burnout.
What is Mom Burnout?
Mom burnout is a state of physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion that is caused by the demands of motherhood. When moms are constantly putting their own needs last, they can start to feel overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed. This can lead to negative health effects such as insomnia, weight gain, and depression. Mom burnout is real, and it’s important to avoid it by practicing self-care!
15 Simple and Easy Self-Care Ideas for Busy Moms That Will Help Fight Mom Burnout
So now that we’ve discussed why self-care is important, let’s talk about some specific self-care ideas that busy moms can use to relax, refresh and recharge. Here are a few of our favorites:
– Get enough sleep: This one is easier said than done, but it’s important to try to get at least seven hours of sleep each night. Consider going to bed earlier or taking a nap during the day if you can. If you’re still bottle feeding and looking for more sleep, one thing you may want to consider is dream feeding. This feeding method can help you get more predictable and scheduled sleep. Ultimately, developing healthier sleep habits for you and your baby.
2) Eat Healthy
– Eat healthy: Eating nutritious foods will help you feel your best. Be sure to include plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in your diet. If you’re a mom that’s always on the go, and fast food is your only option, select options that are healthier.
– Exercise: Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and boost your energy levels. Even just a few minutes of movement each day can make a difference.
4) Take Breaks
– Take breaks: When you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a few minutes to yourself to relax and rejuvenate. Take a hot bath, read your favorite book, or take a walk outdoors.
5) Be Social
– Connect with friends and family: Spending time with loved ones can help you feel supported and appreciated. Make time for social activities that you enjoy.
6) Do Something You Love
– Do something you love: Make time for activities that make you happy. This could include hobbies, creative pursuits, or anything else that brings you joy.
7) Set Boundaries
– Set boundaries: Don’t be afraid to say no when you need to. You can’t do everything, and that’s okay! Prioritize your commitments and let others know what you’re available for. Setting boundaries is essential as it is important for your emotional well-being.
8) Simplify Your Life
– Simplify your life: Streamline your schedule and obligations to make more time for self-care. Cut out anything that isn’t absolutely essential.
9) Take Time for Yourself
– Take time for yourself: Dedicate some time each day to doing something solely for your own enjoyment. This could be anything from taking a yoga class to reading a magazine.
10) Learn to Accept Help
– Accept help: Don’t be afraid to ask for assistance when you need it. Let others pitch in with childcare, housework, or anything else that’s overwhelming you.
11) Give Yourself a Break
– Give yourself a break: Don’t be too hard on yourself! Remember that you’re doing the best you can. Cut yourself some slack and be gentle with yourself.
12) Seek Professional Help
– Seek professional help: If you’re struggling with anxiety, depression, or any other mental health issue, don’t hesitate to seek professional help. A therapist can provide valuable support and guidance.
13) Make Self-Care a Priority
– Make self-care a priority: Put yourself and your needs first, at least some of the time. This may mean saying no to commitments that you don’t have time for or taking some time each day just for yourself.
14) Find Your Support System
– Find your support system: Connect with other moms who understand what you’re going through. Join a local mom’s group or an online forum to chat and vent with others who get it. Facebook and Reddit have a variety of mom groups you can join for non-judgmental space.
15) Seek Help When You Need It
– Seek help when you need it: Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you’re struggling. Whether you need help with childcare, housework, or anything else, don’t hesitate to reach out to your support system.
Frequently Asked Questions about Self Care for Busy Moms
If you have questions about self-care as a busy mom, try out these questions and answers to see if we’ve answered them for you! Below you will find the most frequent and common asked questions about self-care for busy moms:
What do moms do for self-care?
There is no one answer to this question as every mom’s needs are different. However, some self-care ideas for busy moms include getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods, exercising regularly, taking breaks when needed, spending time with loved ones, doing things they enjoy, setting boundaries, and simplifying their lives.
How do I pamper myself as a busy mom?
Pampering yourself as a busy mom can look different for everyone. However, some ideas include taking a hot bath, getting a massage, taking a yoga class, going for a walk outdoors, reading your favorite book, or enjoying a cup of tea.
How do moms find time for self-care?
This can be a challenge for busy moms! However, some tips to make time for self-care include streamlining your schedule, setting boundaries, accepting help from others, and making self-care a priority. You can wake up a little earlier before the kids get up and take out some time to pray and meditate, or even just do some light stretching. Taking even just ten minutes for yourself can make a world of difference!
How do busy moms destress?
There are many ways for busy moms to destress. Some self-care ideas for busy moms include getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, spending time with loved ones, doing things they enjoy, setting boundaries, and simplifying their lives. If you’re struggling with anxiety or depression, seek professional help from a therapist.
Why do moms feel guilty about self-care?
Moms often feel guilty about self-care because they think it’s selfish. However, self-care is not selfish! It’s actually crucial for your well-being and will make you a better mom. If you’re struggling with guilt, try to remember that your family needs a happy and healthy mom. You deserve to take care of yourself!
How do you refresh as a mom?
Refreshing as a mom is necessary and very vital. To refresh you should consider taking a break, going outside for some fresh air, or even just taking a nap. You can also try to find hobbies that help you relax and de-stress such as yoga, hiking, journaling, painting, or drawing. Taking care of yourself will only make you a better mom!
How do I prioritize myself as a mother?
Prioritizing yourself as a mother is super crucial for your overall health. To prioritize yourself without feeling guilty you’ll need to do things like getting enough sleep, taking breaks when needed, spending time with loved ones, doing things you enjoy outside of being a mom, and setting boundaries. You’re worth it and your family needs a healthy happy mom!
Last Thing You Need To Know About Self-Care for Busy Moms
We hope these self-care tips for busy moms help you relax, refresh and recharge! Remember, self-care is not selfish – it’s essential for your well-being. When you make time for self-care, you’re investing in your own happiness and future.
What are your favorite self-care activities? Share them with us in the comments below! And be sure to check out our free self-care tracker which can help you plan and keep track of your self-care routine.
Check out these blog posts:
- Definition of Self-Care, 8 Types of Self-Care & Free Self-Care Tracker
- “Spill The Scope on Self-Care” Interview ft. Ashley Michele of IV Essentials
- Emotional Self-Care Activities and Free A Checklist
- 7 Self Care Tips for Breastfeeding Moms + Free Journal
- Self Care for Busy Moms: Tips to Help You Relax, Refresh, and Recharge
Want more from us? Follow us out on IG!